6.14.2008

Just drive, don’t text


I couldn’t believe I’ve been through a car accident and survived to blog about it — the photo above should help me put everything into words. That all happened about 23 months or so ago, July of ‘06. I wrote about it on my old message board and here’s what the whole drama was:

i survived a rather really ugly car crash. that was back on the 17th of jul 06. oh yeah, everything happened like in a blink of an eye. i was driving on my way to work and it just happened. in full detail, i woke up early - the usual routine. drove my pops to the airport before i was gonna get to work. then downhill, i was checking the mirrors, applying not too hard on the brake pads. the last thing i remember was when i was trying to change a song on my iPod mini - which of course is what i use to serve as the car accessory - then boom it just happened. i hit something. “houston, we’ve got a problem.” i am so sure i never spent like a great deal of 2 seconds looking at the iPod mini screen. if that was my fault, i for sure have learned from it the hard way. check out the photo of the sentra above. it should at least tell you what i’ve been through. when i got the hit, all i heard was silence. all i’ve thought of was home - what have i done? good news is that i’m still alive. i always put my seatbelts on when driving. i made a couple of phone calls - good thing i had full charge. t’was a shocker. of all people, why did it have to be me? i guess i had to learn stuff about driving the hard way. after i got cleared by traffic authority and was driving it home, the only line that ran through my mind was this: “driving is a privilege, not a right.” that said, i guess my driving days are doomed. i was so scared. good news is that i was able to get through it. learned a lot. never text while driving. i never texted that day though, i was switching songs on the iPod mini for like under 2 seconds and i crashed. i had better texted that day. even if the result was still the same. well i think i did text someone just right before it happened. so there. there’s a lot to learn. at least, we should learn from the mistakes of others for we cannot live long enough to make ‘em all our own.

So that was it. All I’ve got to say now is this–don’t ever forget about the title I tagged this old update with: just drive, don’t text. If you do otherwise, you would ultimately become a liability on the road and might tremendously affect the lives of others, along with your own. Think about the risk.

No comments: